This episode is ridiculous…. lemme tell you why:
1. A woman scientist (giggle), whose name is Dr. Jones (giggle x2), beams aboard the Enterprise… you know what that means! Everyone’s going to hit on her because she’s attractive. She’s also a telepath! And with her is this sentient creature that…
2. Is called a Medusan. It’s so displeasing that when people see it, they go INSANE. But because they are sentient, of course we want to open up diplomatic relations with them! So here is the Medusan ambassador Kollos! (He’s kept in a box.)
3. Spock helps Dr. Miranda Jones carry the Medusan because he’s half Vulcan and apparently, half Vulcans aren’t susceptible to going as mad as easily… although he still has to wear an eye guard…
4. At dinner time, literally EVERYONE hits on her. And then Dr. Jones says, “There’s somebody nearby who’s thinking of murder.” I LOVE IT WHEN THIS HAPPENS. Someone in this room is going to kill someone onboard.
Also Scotty is wearing a Kilt which makes me happy. But MOST IMPORTANTLY, someone in this picture is going to try and kill someone! But because we know everyone except for that one dude, it’s probably going to be that one dude.
5. And I’m right! It’s that one dude who beamed aboard with Dr. Jones. He’s in love with her, but because she wants to spend her entire life with the Medusan ambassador, he wants to kill the Medusan ambassador.
6. He tries, but goes INSANE and runs to the engineering room where he directs the Enterprise to go into a time-space distortion. THANKS CRAZY GUY. He finally yells “Don’t love her! Don’t love her! She’ll kill you if you love her! I love you, Miranda.” And then dies. Thanks.
7. But do you know what Medusan’s are really good at? Cartography and navigation! So Spock has to mind meld with Kollos in order to get them out of “not their galaxy”. But Dr. Jones is jealous and angry and doesn’t want to allow it. She wants to be the only person who has direct contact with Kollos. She offers to pilot the Enterprise out of not space….
8. Which is when Dr. McCoy says: “I realize that you can do almost anything a sighted person can do, but you can’t pilot a starship.” HOLY HELL! McCoy for the win! Dr. Jones is wearing a sensory net made to look like a dress, but really it helps her determine what she’s looking at. Hell, she knows what she’s looking at even better than a normal person (Geordi?!) SURPRISE!
9. So Spock mind melds with Kollos. As soon as he mind melds not only does he smile, he LAUGHS! Apparently Kollos is so excited by being in a human body he begins to act out Spock’s inner reactions. He references his bromance with Kirk, he acknowledges that McCoy is his friend (ah!), and he literally cites Byron (romantic poetry) to Uhura (SUCK IT NURSE CHAPEL).
10. Anyway, back to business: Spock/Kollos pilot the Enterprise back into their galaxy. Hurray! But Spock accidentally looks at Kollos without protecting his eyes, and immediately goes crazy. You get to see him attacking the onslaught of Enterprise crewmen through his own eyes ***** I suggest watching this if only to see McCoy throw himself into Spock (good fighting strategy, loser).
11. Dr. Jones is the only person who can save Spock! But she’s not DOING ANYTHING because she’s still jealous. So Kirk goes in and pretty much says, “You’ve got to save him! I love him!” And she’s all like, “Whatever” but she really does start a mind meld with Spock which is really trippy. This is a good episode for doing drugs at. ANYWAY…
12. Spock returns to normalcy. Dr. Jones and Kollos get to spend the rest of their lives together.
Hey! They’re recycling characters again!
Dr. Mulhalla is now………………………… Dr. Jones!